Friday, July 17, 2009

SW Chess Championship Round 2


The game above shows an interesting draw between Evan and Andrew G. Click on the controls to move thru the game.
Evan adds this analysis about the game:
"Me being about a 1450 player was happy to tie the 1786 Andrew G. . Him and i are friends. this was a fun game. He is 16 i think but i am not completely sure, anyway here is my analysis about my game: He started by playing the queens gambit, a very good opening for white. Gregory used to prefer this to e4 because gregory thinks that playing e4 gives black better chances because of the sicilian. I agree but i am not very good at this opening so i play e4. i just choose to play the little i know about this opening at first. Then on move 6 i play a passive move that i looked at after the game, Nbd7. this blocks out my bishop from going to d7 and i have to play b6 to get it out. Then on move 8 he takes my d pawn with his c pawn and then i begin to notice that i am very very cramped. Things are looking bleak. Then he plays a3 and b4. once he moves b4 i am pretty happy to play my freeing move, a5!. Andrew thought that taking was worse for him so he played 11. Rb1. After i take i had a reflex to play ra3 right away, but then he would play Nb5. So i played c6 to stop that. Once i got a stronghold on a3 he played Qc1. I played qc8 to protect my rook and set up a batterring ram. on move 16 he played Qb2. I saw if he was planning to play ra1 i had a tactic that was to play bxb4. if queen takes then i play Rxa1. So i was hoping he would play that so i played a kind of weird move to waste time. i played re8. just as i hoped he play the move ra1 and i took bxb4. I had the advantage now. He did Rxa3 and i took with queen to try to trade. we traded queens and i was pretty confident - maybe a little too confident. I started to play a little sloppy now. On move 21 I played b5. When i moved Nb6 he did a shocking move. He played Nxb5. This led to an exchange where I was up a full piece for a pawn. Then later he trapped my knight in the corner on a8. I could have saved it with 32.....Kf8 33. Bd7 Bd6 34. Bc6 and i save my knight with Nc7. All of you smart guys that commenting what if he plays 33. Ra1. and saying ha ha you where wrong! He cant take because i play Re1#. I did not see this in my game but saw it in my analysis. I was so anxious and overconfident that i played Re1+ on reflex. That makes my bishop stray from b4 and i cant play Bc6 fast enought to save my knight. He wins my knight and i am down a pawn in the endgame. I offer a draw on move 39 and he accepts. I was not sure if this was a draw or not because i was to lazy to analyze if his king escapes out of h3 and trys to knack off all my pawns. Since my king cant stray from my d5 pawn because it is isolated and hanging. I will accept any comments on if it was a draw or not. So please comment."

In the 6-round SW Chess championship, last night we competed in Round 2. Myself, Evan, Reid, and also Jacob Glumm from the LDMS club.
In the first round last week, Reid drew against Coons (1843), Evan won, Jacob and I did not play (I used one of my two Byes).
In round 2 last night, we all got pretty tough matchups. Evan drew against A. Grochowski (1788), Reid lost to R. Mhaskar (1653), Jacob lost to R. Pkenwitz (1486), and I lost to S. Richardson (1579).
I had a pretty good game but made one early mistake which ended up costing me the game ultimately. Reid admitted he played too fast- he and Rohan were very quick to an endgame in which Rohan had the advantage on position plus an extra pawn.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Looks like black threw away his large advantage with 31…Re1+

White should have played 37.Bc5, and white has a nice advantage in the position.

In any case, Andrew was happy with the draw at that point as he was tired and his brain was shutting down!:)

Anonymous said...

I think you mean 32 ...Re1+

Spree K said...

Black shouldn't play 2... Nf6 in the opening because of 3. cxd5! Qxd5 (Nxd5 Nf3 followed by e4) 4. Nf3 (followed by Nc3 and e4) with a clear advanatage.