Monday, March 30, 2009

Coaches Notes

I thought I would take a few minutes on a Monday morning near the end of the season to reflect a little bit on coaching, and to provide another avenue for some of our top players.
As a coach, I do what I can to teach the kids the basics, remind them of tricks/traps, discuss openings, help them with puzzles, help them take notation, play slow, be good sports, etc. I believe I can train a new player and help bring them to the point where they are competitive. Mr. Reese taught me many good methods, as Randy taught him. Mr. Reese added his own ideas, and I have also added my own ideas.
At the beginning level for these players, I believe coaching is really the gift of TIME. Giving our time to help coordinate tournaments, and motivating the kids as best we can.
As a player, I am learning, just like all our kids. After the latest tournament, I'm probably somewhere between 1000-1100. Which means I still make some stupid mistakes. It would rank me THIRD on our chess team. Also, it is difficult to improve much more; my job keeps me very busy. I travel for work, and its about all I can do to carve out the 2 hours per week for the chess class at LDMS, and the USCF games on Thu nights, the tournaments on the weekends, etc. So, there is a limit to how much I can help our kids. I try my best, but I am limited by both skill and time.
THEREFORE, when a player gets around the 800-900 level, and IF they have the interest and the dedication to take their game farther, I strongly recommend additional instruction. For that instruction, I recommend VICA (Vaja International Chess Academy). I am proud to consider VICA is a partner to the LDMS Knights.
As you know, Reid and Evan have received coaching from Ashish Vaja. Not only is Ashish one of the top few players in WI, he is also a great instructor. He comes once per week for an hour to teach Reid and Evan some of the finer points. Though Ashish's training, as well as extra playing for the boys with the SW chess club on Thursday evenings and online, the boys have improved significantly, adding 300-400 to their ratings. When Ashish is here, the boys are 100% into the lessons. He talks with them like a friend, and offers them interesting and informative lessons every time. But it's not just about Ashish. Chris T is now working with Matt, from the VICA team. Chris and his Mom, Marijo, are very happy so far with Matt's instruction, and we have seen growth already in just a few weeks with Chris.
I also want to thank Mr. Reese, who continues to be a powerful influence in Muskego chess. Mr. Reese has done some great things with our kids, and always has a great deal to offer as an instructor and as President of the WSCA, an emerging chess association offering instruction and tournaments for WI scholastic players. Mr. Reese also works with Ashish - Ashish is a board member for the WSCA.
My next post will be about VICA and their team. I strongly recommend that our stronger players consider working with VICA.

No comments: